Sistering is a 2016 Vital Ideas Grant Recipient! This grant is from the Toronto Foundation and will provide funds to; complete an evaluation of our two social enterprises – Inspirations and Spun Studio, conduct a feasibility study and build a new business plan which will position the agency to expand the model.
This grant was made possible with support from the Patricia J. Fleming (FBG) Fund.
This grant will enable Sistering to build our social enterprises which will address a number of social issues such as;
- Income inequality gap is increasing at twice the national average in our city. The gap between the rich and richest and the rest in our Region is the second largest in Canada
- Close to 80,000 Toronto households are waiting for affordable housing.
- There are more than 890,000 visits to food bank.
- Most Torontonians believe their mental health is good, but almost a quarter of the population experiences high levels of stress.
- Lower-income Torontonians have poorer health.
- Unemployment is more likely among Toronto’s recent immigrants.
- Precarious employment is rising…. Temporary and contract employment increased by 17% in Toronto between 2011 and 2014.
In junction with the Textile Museum of Canada Exhibition – Home Economics, 150 years of Canadian Hooked Rugs, Sistering has been holding a Rug Hooking Class.
Below are some of what the women completed after the first session.
This class has been made possible with funding from Ruth Mandel – WHO GIVES Fund and the Private Giving Foundation of TD Wealth. The workshop was created as part of a partnership with ArtBridges.
We will post images of the finished work next week.
We have just finished these 2 lovely shawls. The warp is a lovely grey silk and the weft is a salmon coloured merino wool.
The shawl was woven in such a way that the two sides are not the same. Each shawl is priced at $100.00.
LadeeBee at 3079 Dundas West in the Junction, sells pottery from Inspirations Studio and hand woven bags from Spun Studio. Visit LadeeBee on their customer appreciation event November 17, 2015.
The TTC Knitalong is taking place on August 22nd, 2015. A portion of the proceeds is being donated to Sistering. A big thank you to all the knitters.
This wonderful bag was made by a member of Spun Studio. The bag measures 13 x 15″ and the strap is 15″ long.
She used three different yarns, one which was variegated. The result is a very serviceable bag which we are selling for $45.00.