Sistering is a 2016 Vital Ideas Grant Recipient! This grant is from the Toronto Foundation and will provide funds to; complete an evaluation of our two social enterprises – Inspirations and Spun Studio, conduct a feasibility study and build a new business plan which will position the agency to expand the model.
This grant was made possible with support from the Patricia J. Fleming (FBG) Fund.
This grant will enable Sistering to build our social enterprises which will address a number of social issues such as;
- Income inequality gap is increasing at twice the national average in our city. The gap between the rich and richest and the rest in our Region is the second largest in Canada
- Close to 80,000 Toronto households are waiting for affordable housing.
- There are more than 890,000 visits to food bank.
- Most Torontonians believe their mental health is good, but almost a quarter of the population experiences high levels of stress.
- Lower-income Torontonians have poorer health.
- Unemployment is more likely among Toronto’s recent immigrants.
- Precarious employment is rising…. Temporary and contract employment increased by 17% in Toronto between 2011 and 2014.