The knitting group has been making these wonderful mittens! They are doubled stranded wool so they will be very warm.
Yes it is true, the weather is changing and it is now time for sweaters! Spun Studio has a variety of Children’s sweaters. Please call or email for further information.
We have started another Rug Hooking Project! This is the first week of three sessions, and the participants are just designing their projects.
Sistering has released a RFP to hire a consultant to do a Feasibility Study and New Business Plan for Inspirations and Spun Studio. The RFP can be viewed here.
Sistering is a 2016 Vital Ideas Grant Recipient! This grant is from the Toronto Foundation and will provide funds to; complete an evaluation of our two social enterprises – Inspirations and Spun Studio, conduct a feasibility study and build a new business plan which will position the agency to expand the model.
This grant was made possible with support from the Patricia J. Fleming (FBG) Fund.
This grant will enable Sistering to build our social enterprises which will address a number of social issues such as;
- Income inequality gap is increasing at twice the national average in our city. The gap between the rich and richest and the rest in our Region is the second largest in Canada
- Close to 80,000 Toronto households are waiting for affordable housing.
- There are more than 890,000 visits to food bank.
- Most Torontonians believe their mental health is good, but almost a quarter of the population experiences high levels of stress.
- Lower-income Torontonians have poorer health.
- Unemployment is more likely among Toronto’s recent immigrants.
- Precarious employment is rising…. Temporary and contract employment increased by 17% in Toronto between 2011 and 2014.
Thank you Yarns Untangled for the large donation of yarn, needles and books. We really appreciate your support!
In junction with the Textile Museum of Canada Exhibition – Home Economics, 150 years of Canadian Hooked Rugs, Sistering has been holding a Rug Hooking Class.
Below are some of what the women completed after the first session.
This class has been made possible with funding from Ruth Mandel – WHO GIVES Fund and the Private Giving Foundation of TD Wealth. The workshop was created as part of a partnership with ArtBridges.
We will post images of the finished work next week.